Filing a Fair Housing Complaint

The federal Fair Housing Act and Oregon fair housing laws provide protections against housing discrimination.

In the United States, it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, familial status, or national origin.

In Oregon it is also illegal to discriminate on the basis of legal source of income, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or survivors of domestic violence.

Has your right to fair housing been violated?

If you feel you have experienced discrimination in the housing industry, please contact one of the agencies listed below. Timelines vary depending on the type and basis of a complaint, but it is always better to act sooner to ensure your legal rights are protected.

Department of Housing and Urban Development, Portland Field Office

1220 SW Third Avenue, Suite 400
Portland, OR 97204-1632(971) 222-2600 Ext. 7

File a Complaint with the Department of Housing and Urban Development online

Contact the Department of Housing and Urban Development's Regional Fair Housing Office at (800) 877-0246

Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries – Civil Rights Division

800 NE Oregon Street, Suite 1045
Portland, Oregon 97232
Telephone: (971) 673-0764 (English)
Telephone: (971) 673-2818 (Español)
FAX: (971) 673-0765
Email the Civil Rights Division

Fair Housing Council of Oregon

1221 SW Yamhill Street #305
Portland, Oregon 97205
Telephone: (503) 223-8197 Ext. 2
Toll free: (800) 424-3247 Ext. 2 (Translation available)
Email the Fair Housing Council

Oregon Law Center

424 NW 6th Street #102
PO Box 429
Grants Pass OR 97528
Telephone: (541) 476-1058

City of Grants Pass

Within resources available to the City, the City will assist all persons who feel they have been denied equal access to housing due to one of the aforementioned reasons in the process of filing a complaint with the State of Oregon Civil Rights Division or the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (City of Grants Pass Resolution 13-6105)