Citizen's Public Safety Academy
The Grants Pass Department of Public Safety holds a 12-week academy annually. This academy is designed to educate the public about the Department of Public Safety and to involve citizens in an interactive opportunity to get to know the officers and firefighters on a more personal level.
Approximately 25 citizens will be allowed to attend on a first-come, first-served basis. Academy dates vary from year to year, but the academy is traditionally held on Tuesday nights.
The 2021 Academy will be held 6-9:30 p.m. Tuesdays:
- Aug. 24 and 31.
- Sept. 7, 11*, 14, 21, and 28.
- Oct. 2*, 5, 12, 16*, 19, and 26.
- Nov. 2 and 6*
- Graduation will be Tuesday, Nov. 9.
*Four optional Saturday classes will be held Sept. 11, Oct. 2, Oct. 16, and Nov. 6, covering personal safety (this is hands-on training), fire rescue/attack, firearms and emergency vehicle operations (yes, you get to shoot our guns and drive our police cars and fire trucks).
Classes will be held at the Grants Pass Public Safety Center, Hillcrest Public Safety Station, or Parkway Public Safety Center. Dinner and beverages will be provided at each class.
Applications due by 5 p.m. Aug. 6, 2021.
Questions: Contact Sgt. Ken Frownfelter, (541) 450-6245, or Kelly Busch, (541) 450-6200.
- Arrest Procedures
- Community Policing
- Community Service Officers
- Crime Prevention
- Crime Scene Investigations
- Crime Scene Processing
- Criminal Law
- Defensive Tactics
- Department history
- Drug and Alcohol Enforcement
- Emergency Medical Services
- Extrication and air Bag Rescue Systems
- Fire Attack
- fire Extinguishers
- Fire Prevention @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Fire Rescue
- Fire Size-Up and Fire Spread
- Gang and Youth Related Issues
- High Risk Car Stops
- Hiring Process
- Officer Survival
- Patrol Procedures
- Rapid Deployment
- Search and Seizure
- Tactical Team Response
- Technical Rescue
- Tours of the Police and Fire Departments
- Traffic Enforcement @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Citizens interested in attending should:
- Live in, work in, or be a current student within the City of Grants Pass
- Fill out an application
- Pass a criminal background check
- Participate in at least nine of the 12 nights
- Be at least 18 years of age with a valid driver's license
Apply online here Version OptionsCitizen's Public Safety AcademyHeadline by 5 p.m. Aug. 6.
Crime Prevention Officer
Officer Ken Frownfelter
Email Officer Frownfelter
City of Grants Pass
Department of Public Safety
726 NE 7th Street
Grants Pass, OR 97526
Application Period Open
The Grants Pass Department of Public Safety will be holding its 30th Citizen's Public Safety Academy beginning Tuesday, August 24, 2021. Deadline for Application is: August 6, 2021.
You can apply as follows:
Fill out and submit the online form
Download, fill out, and return the Citizen's Public Safety Academy application (PDF) as directed on the form.