Qualifying and Filing for Candidacy

Positions up for Election

Voters will elect or reelect persons to the positions held by the following persons:

  • Ward 1 - Rob Pell
  • Ward 2 - Rick Riker
  • Ward 3 - Curt Collins
  • Ward 4 - Joel King

Qualifying for Candidacy

Candidate qualifications are set by the Grants Pass City Charter (Chapter III - Form of Government). All candidates must be registered to vote in Oregon. In addition:

Filing for Candidacy

To file for candidacy, fill out the following forms:

All forms and instructions on filing for a City Office are also available through the City Recorder’s office in City Hall, 101 NW A Street.

To file candidacy papers, schedule an appointment with Karen Frerk, City Recorder.

Submit a $10 filing fee or submit signatures in lieu of filing fee.

Circulating Petition for Signatures

Once the petition is approved, the Candidate signs the first line.

The Candidate must collect at least 50 valid signatures to be placed on the ballot.

The City Recorder must approve all signature sheets before they can be circulated. Any unapproved sheet will be rejected.

Signatures must be submitted to the City Recorder for verification.

Registering a Campaign Committee

You must file the Candidate’s Statement of Organization (SEL 220) (external website) with the Secretary of State’s Election Division unless you will:

  • act as your own treasurer and will spend less than $750 for the campaign during the calendar year

All candidates are required to have a dedicated campaign bank account if they receive contributions or make expenditures over $750 during a calendar year.

If you do not expect to receive a total of more than $3,000 or spend a total of more than $3,000 for an entire election, you may file a Certificate of Limited Contributions and Expenditures (PC 7) (external website).

If at any time during the election, the total expenditures or contributions exceed $3,000, you must file detailed contribution and expenditure reports.

File Online

Follow the Money in ORESTAR (external website). This tool from the Oregon Secretary of State allows you to file online and provides additional information on campaign committees and campaign finances. For additional information, contact the Elections Division at 1-503-986-1518.

Filing a statement in the Voter’s Pamphlet

The Josephine County Election Division manages the Voters’ Pamphlet. Forms can be obtained only at the Josephine County Election’s Office. Go to the Josephine County Website for more information.

City Recorder

  1. Karen Frerk

    Karen Frerk

    City Recorder

    Email Karen Frerk

    101 NW A Street
    Room 205
    Grants Pass, OR 97526

    Ph: 541-450-6000
    Fx: 541-479-0812


    Monday - Friday
    8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

    Staff Directory