Continued widespread rain and more in the forecast have made it possible to continue to ease off on some public and industrial fire prevention regulations. Effective Wednesday, September 21, 2022, at 12:01 a.m., the fire danger level will decrease to “moderate” (blue) within the City of Grants Pass.
If your grass is green, feel free to mow it anytime. If your grass is dry, mow it before 1 PM or after 8 PM.
Using any type of power-driven equipment in dry vegetation is prohibited between 1 PM and 8 PM.
The following fire season regulations will go into effect within the City of Grants Pass.
• Smoking in areas of flammable vegetation is prohibited.
• Open wood-fueled fires are prohibited, including campfires, cooking fires, and warming fires, except at locations designated by the Fire Marshal. Wood smokers, charcoal barbecues, propane, and natural gas-fueled ornamental fires are allowed.
• Power saws must be shut down between the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. Each power saw is required to have one shovel and one fire extinguisher of at least 8-ounce capacity. A firewatch of at least one hour is required following the use of the saw.
• Cutting, grinding, and welding of metal in areas of flammable vegetation is not allowed between the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
• The mowing of dried, cured grass will not be allowed between the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
• Motor vehicles, including motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles, are only allowed on improved roads free of flammable vegetation, except for the culture and harvest of agricultural crops.
• Any other spark-emitting internal combustion engine in areas of flammable vegetation not specifically mentioned will not be allowed between the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. This equipment must be used in a cleared area during other hours, and a charged garden hose or one 2 ½ pound or larger fire extinguisher is immediately available.
The City Fire Marshal or an authorized representative may, in writing, approve a modification or waiver of these requirements.
For more information about the City of Grants Pass Fire Season regulations, please call the Fire Prevention Bureau at 541-450-6200