The fire danger level within the City of Grants Pass decreased to “HIGH” (yellow) on Friday, September 1, 2023, at 12:01 a.m.
Cooler weather and light rainfall have improved conditions allowing the Fire Marshal for the City of Grants Pass to lower the fire danger level to High (yellow). While conditions have improved, it is important to remember summer is not over. We must remain vigilant in our efforts to prevent fire.
The primary change to fire prevention regulations now in effect is to move the shut-down time for power-driven machinery to 10 am, as detailed below:
- Smoking in areas of flammable vegetation is prohibited.
- Open wood-fueled fires are prohibited, including campfires, cooking fires, and warming fires, except at locations designated by the Fire Marshal. Wood smokers, charcoal barbecues as well as propane, and natural gas-fueled ornamental fires are allowed.
- Power saws must be shut down between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Each power saw is required to have one shovel and one fire extinguisher of at least 8-ounce capacity. A fire watch of at least one hour is required following the use of the saw.
- Cutting, grinding, and welding of metal in areas of flammable vegetation is not allowed between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.
- The mowing of dried, cured grass will not be allowed between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.
- Motor vehicles, including motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles, are only allowed on improved roads free of flammable vegetation, except for the culture and harvest of agricultural crops.
- Any other spark-emitting internal combustion engine in areas of flammable vegetation not specifically mentioned will not be allowed between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. During other hours, this equipment must be used in a cleared area and a charged garden hose or one 2 ½ pound or larger fire extinguisher is immediately available.
The City Fire Marshal or an authorized representative may, in writing, approve a modification or waiver of these requirements.
For more information about the City of Grants Pass Fire Season regulations, please call the Fire Prevention Bureau at 541-450-6200